Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dean Rudy Ang

Dean Rodolfo "Rudy" Ang
Dean of John Gokongwei School of Management


We have all heard about his genius teaching, his brilliant management skills, even his admirable-almost-intimidating-aura that exudes both intelligence and excellence. This time, let's see more of the personal side of Dean Rudy Ang. And what better way to do this than the only way we know of here -- by raiding his everyday bag!

As we reminded Dean Ang of our BagRaid appointment, he recalls with a problematic expression, "I left my bag in the car... you need my bag." Feeling the anxiety, we were ready to accept a cancellation, but then he went ahead to get it in his car. A few minutes later, he's back carrying this Tumi leather briefcase.



He's been using his bag for six years now, "I used to use this (showing us his previous bag), but this is much better leather (new briefcase), so upgrade. When I started with this bag (old), that was what I could afford; when my purchasing power went up, I could afford this na," he shares.

Noticing the resemblance of his two bags, we asked why he prefers this certain type. "It's more professional and it's not painful in the back. Backpack kasi baduy naman; kung one side lang, mayamaya sumasakit na shoulders ko, so this is an excellent bag."

When it comes to color preference, Dean Ang actually likes brown better. He apparently has a lot of brown leather bags at home for traveling, but then for office, he considers black a more practical option because it goes better with formal apparel.


P9170851
What's in the bag of the formidable JGSOM Dean

L-R: MacBook Air, Spare iPhone battery, hard drive, Apple projector adapter, multiple and remote flash drive, earphones, laptop and iPhone chargers, Smart Bro dongle, Nokia phone, iPhone, checkbooks and passbooks

Earlier, he had to get his briefcase from his car because he often just takes out what he needs from the bag. "If I go to the bank, I take out just my checkbook; if I'm making a presentation, I bring my projector adapter, but if I don't expect to make a presentation, nasa bag ko lang siya. May wi-fi naman dito so I don't need my Smart Bro. If I'm in a coffee shop, then I'm going to bring it down."

"I bring my bag but I don't always carry it out. I don't always need everything all the time." His practicality notably applies even in the simplest habits.



The only things he brings all the time are his phone and his laptop. When asked if he is really a gadget person, he says he's not very technical when it comes to those things. He uses a lot of gadgets but he admits not being an expert when it comes to these things. However, when he travels out of the country, his bag is packed with them.

One missing essential is his Kindle which, he shares, is a mainstay in his car. That explains why despite being a fan of Mac, he doesn't have an iPad. "I was gifted with a Kindle just this year that's why I didn't buy an iPad, but I'm waiting for the next model to come out."


On his preference for Apple gadgets: "It's all purchasing power you know. As my purchasing power goes up I'm able to buy more. Dati mas maliit ang purchasing power, I can't afford Apple, so I can't indulge. But now that im into Apple, parang I'm... hooked." True as they say, once you go Mac, you never go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment